The church of St. Marcella (or Marchell) stands on the Llandyrnog road, more than a mile east of the town of Denbigh. It is also known as Whitchurch (Eglwys Wen), possibly because its exterior walls were at one time whitewashed. Despite being so far from the town, it is in fact the original parish church of Denbigh.
The church is mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. However, only the tower, an Early English doorway and the Priest's Door still remain of the early building. Most of the present building dates from the late sixteenth century. By 1828, the church had fallen into disuse, except for burials, in favour of St. Hilary's, which was much closer to the town centre. It was extensively restored in 1908/1909, and was re-opened on 1 April 1909. The church is still in regular use.
• • •
For family history information about the churches and parish, visit the GenUKI Denbigh page.