The ancient parish comprised the townships of Bachymbyd (or Machymbyd), Bontuchel, Bryncaredig, Ffiddoedd, Maesmaencymro, Rhydonnen, Trefechan, Trefor (or Cefn Trefor), Treganol (or Fachlwyd), Tre'r Parc, and Ysgeibion (or Esgeibion).
It was the "mother" parish of Cyffylliog until 26 January 1874, when the townships of Bontuchel, Trefor, Treganol, Ffiddoedd and Tre'r Parc were transferred from Llanynys to the "new" parish of Cyffylliog. However, to all intents and purposes, Cyffylliog had already been functioning as a separate parish for many years.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Saeran, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254; although there is believed to have been a church on the site since the fifth century.
• • •
For family history information about the church and parish, visit the GenUKI Llanynys page.