St. Kentigern (Cyndeyrn), who was the Bishop of Strathclyde, in Scotland, is reputed to have built a church on the banks of the River Elwy circa 560 A.D. When he returned to Scotland, he appointed St. Asaph as his successor.
The oldest parts of the present Cathedral date from about 1240.
The Diocese of St. Asaph includes the whole of the historic counties of Flintshire and Denbighshire, most of Montgomeryshire, and the Edeirnion district of Merioneth. Historically, the Diocese of St Asaph extended across the border into today's Shropshire. However, following disestablishment of the Anglican Church in Wales on 31 March 1920, the Shropshire parishes of Criftins, Hengoed, Kinnerley, Knockin, Llanyblodwel, Llanymynech, Melverley, Morton, Oswestry, St. Martin's, Selattyn, Trefonen, Weston Rhyn and Whittington were transferred from the Diocese of St. Asaph to the English Diocese of Lichfield.
• • •
For family history information about the church, cathedral and parish, visit the GenUKI St. Asaph page.