The Historic Counties of Wales
Record Offices, Archives, Libraries, etc. in Wales
- • National Library of Wales
- Genealogical Sources at Aberystwyth.
- • Welsh Newspapers Online (at NLW)
- 2.5 million articles and 250,000 pages free online ... and growing
- • Denbighshire Archives
- At the Old Gaol in Ruthin
- • Flintshire Record Office
- At the Old Rectory in Hawarden
- • Wrexham County Borough Family History Portal
- In the Guildhall, Wrexham.
- • Wrexham County Borough Museum and Archives
- In Regent Street, Wrexham.
Family History Societies in Wales
- • Cardiganshire Family History Society
- For researching Cardiganshire ancestors.
- • Dyfed Family History Society
- For researching Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire & Pembrokeshire ancestors.
- • Glamorgan Family History Society
- For researching Glamorgan ancestors.
- • Gwent Family History Society
- For researching Monmouthshire ancestors.
- • Gwynedd Family History Society
- For researching Anglesey, Caernarfonshire & Merionethshire ancestors.
- • Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society
- For researching Montgomeryshire ancestors.
- • Powys Family History Society
- For researching Breconshire, Montgomeryshire & Radnorshire ancestors.
- • London Branch of the Welsh Family History Societies
- For those living in the London area and researching Welsh ancestors.
- • Association of Family History Societies of Wales
- Promoting Family History research throughout Wales.
Neighbouring Family History Societies in England
- • Family History Society of Cheshire
- For researching Cheshire ancestors.
- • Shropshire Family History Society
- For researching Shropshire ancestors.
RootsWeb provide facilities to help you find information
about your ancestors and connect you with people who have research interests similar to yours.
Particularly useful are the Mailing Lists and Message Boards.
• RootsWeb's Mailing Lists are email-based. You need to register with the specific list and then all messages posted to that list will be sent to you by email.
• RootsWeb's Message Boards are web-based. You can view messages on all public message boards but need to register once with Rootsweb to be able to post messages.
Several of these cover the historic counties of north-east Wales:
The GenUKI web site provides a virtual reference library of
genealogical information on every country and county in the United Kingdom and Ireland (and also the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).
The GENUKI site is organised on the basis of historic
- • Denbighshire
- Family History information on historic Denbighshire
- • Flintshire
- Family History information on historic Flintshire
- • Merionethshire
- Family History information on historic Merionethshire
- • Wales
- General Family History information on Wales
- • BBC Wales Family History
- Family History throughout Wales.
- • Powys Fadog (Vol 1)
- The OpenLibrary's on-line version of the history of the Princes, the Lords Marcher, and the ancient nobility of Powys Fadog and the ancient lords of Arwystli, Cedewen, and Meirionydd,
by J. Y. W Lloyd of Clochfaen (1881). See also Vol 2, Vol 3, Vol 4, Vol 5, Vol 6.
- • People's Collection Wales
- The Collection contains photographs, sound recordings, documents, videos and stories about the history, heritage and people of Wales. The project is funded by the Welsh Government
and developed in partnership with many national institutions, societies and individuals.
- • Wales Remembers
- Commemorating the centenary of the end of World War I in Wales.
- • Annual Yorkshire Family History Fair
- 27th June 2015 at The Knavesmire Exhibition Centre, The Racecourse, York, YO23 1EX.
- • BBC Wales Local History
- Local history of the north-east
- • Names from Clwyd
- Jill Rose, one of our members, has been working on an index mainly based on the Society's parish register transcriptions.
- • The Fire on the Hill
- The history of the township of Brymbo in Wrexham
- • The Wrexham Story
- The history of Wrexham from the Wrexham Heritage Forum
- • Rhyl History Club
- Local history of the Rhyl area
- • Threapwood History Group
- Local history of the Threapwood area
- • North Wales Borderlands
- If you are planning to visit north-east Wales to research your family history, you will find lots of helpful information here.