The first stone bridge across the River Dee at Llangollen was constructed by John Trevor I, Bishop of St Asaph around 1345. Since then it has been reconstructed
and enlarged several times. Sadly, in 1939, the tower on the northern end of the bridge was demolished.
The tower seen on the northern end of the bridge was demolished in 1939. (Contributed by Graham Price)
Llangollen Bridge and Weir
The weir on the River Dee below Llangollen Bridge. The Royal Hotel stands to left of the bridge. (Postmarked 1905)
A view down the River Dee from the Hand Hotel. (Contributed by Graham Price)
A view from the bridge
A view of the River Dee, in flood, looking up the valley from Llangollen Bridge.
St. Collen's Parish Church
Llangollen takes its name from St. Collen, a 7th century monk who founded a church besides the river here. St Collen is said to have arrived in Llangollen
by coracle and it is thought that this saint may also have connections to both St. Collen, in Cornwall and Langolen, in Brittany.
Castle Street, looking towards the bridge. This is the town's main shopping street. (Postmarked 1907)
Abbey Road looking towards the station. The building on the left is the tower which stood at the end of the bridge and was demolished in 1939. (Postmarked
The former home of the 'Ladies of Llangollen', Eleanor Butler and Sarah Ponsonby. Castell Dinas Brân can be seen in the distance.
The house and gardens of the 'Ladies of Llangollen'. (Contributed by Graham Price)
The historic manor house on the road to World's End.
Castell Dinas Brân
Standing high above the town, Castell Dinas Brân was the former stronghold of the Princes of Powys Fadog.
The walk along the River Dee to the west of the town.
The Horseshoe Falls were built on the River Dee at Berwyn, around 1808, to supply water to the newly built canal. (Postmarked 1918)
The Chain Bridge
The Chain Bridge crosses the River Dee at Berwyn, linking Llangollen to Llandysilio. The first bridge was built here in the early 1800s but this was replaced
in 1876 owing to its condition. It was again rebuilt in 1928 after being damaged by floods. The bridge has recently been completely renovated.
Horse-drawn Canal Boat
Trips on horse-drawn canal boats have long been a feature on the canal at Llangollen. This section was built as a feeder canal for the main Shropshire Union
Canal at Pontcysyllte.
Valle Crucis Abbey
St. Tysilio's parish church at Llandysilio. There has been a church in Llandysilio since the sixth or seventh centuries.
Valle Crucis Abbey
Valle Crucis Abbey (Abaty Glyn y Groes) was a Cistercian abbey located at Llandysilio, built around 1201 by Madog ap Gruffydd Maelor, Prince of Powys Fadog.
The abbey was dissolved in 1537 under the Tudor King Henry VIII and subsequently fell into disrepair.
Sir Theodore Martin, the Scottish poet, biographer, and translator, bought the house (previously known as Braich y Gwynt) in 1865 and had it considearbly
extended. In 1889 Queen Victoria called in for tea at Bryntysilio when she visited Llangollen. The house is now an outdoor education centre. (Contributed by