The Cross in the centre of Rhos, at the junction of Market Street, Hall Street (to the left) and High Street (to the right). The lamp-post was a regular
meeting point for Rhos people. (Postmarked 1908)
Hall Street, with Hanover House, the Nag's Head and the Rhos Herald office to the right. To the left is the Public Hall.
Thomas Edwards (known as 'Tŵm Sem') and his grocers' shop in Handel House at Y Gornel, Penrhos.
Market Street, the main shopping street in Rhos, viewed from the Cross.
Off to the left of the photo is Capel Penuel, opposite the crowd of people, and further down the road are the Blue Bell Inn and the Eagles Inn.
Typical of Rhos' mix of pubs and chapels!
Siop Rad, Market Street
Siop Rad (Cheap Shop!), on the corner of Brook Street (to the left) and Market Street. The shop later became the Radio Milk Bar.
Actually the end of Market Street, looking down towards Hill Street. The Red Lion pub is to the left with D T Jones' butcher's shop opposite.
The top of Hill Street looking down towards Johnstown. The road to the right is Church Street/Stryt y Gôf, leading to the church and on to Penycae. The corner
shop later became Jarvis' toy shop.
St. John's Church
The parish of Rhosllannerchrugog was created in 1844, and St. John's church, in Church Street, was consecrated in 1853. The church closed in 2004 and services
were transferred to St. David's, in the centre of the village, and St. John's in Johnstown.
Hill Street Chapel
The Hill Street English Presbyterian chapel standing on the corner of Queen Street. (Postmarked 1905).
Stryt y Plas
Stryt y Plas leading from Rhosllannerchrugog to the mountain and passing Llannerchrugog Hall.
Llannerchrugog Hall is thought to have been built in the early 18th century, but may be earlier. Originally a farmhouse.
Booths near Plas Drain
Many Rhos people built 'booths' along the edge of the moors between Tainant and Plas Drain to take advantage of the mountain air during the summer months.
Ford on the mountain
The track along the edge of the moors crossed streams feeding the Pant Glas reservoir.
The park and recreation ground was created in the early 1930s by landscaping derelict land, left behind by opencast mining. In the distance the coal tip
of Hafod Colliery can be seen, and beyond that the Maelor.
Chapel Street, Ponciau
Capel Mynydd Seion, a congregational chapel with its own burial ground, is to the right. Opposite the chapel a footpath leads to Furnace Bank, past the Gas
Works and on to Johnstown.
English Baptist Chapel, Ponciau
Mount Pleasant chapel was built in in the early 1890s in Chapel Street, close to its junction with Gutter Hill. (Postmarked 1914).
An electric tram from Rhos travelling down Gutter Hill towards Johnstown and on to Wrexham. The track was opened in 1904, with its depot at Johnstown, but
by 1927 the service had been replaced by buses. To the right was the Wagon Works and the Rhos Gas Works. The site later became the Johnstown Fire Station.
High Street in Johnstown, looking towards Ruabon, in the early 1900s. The village was named after John Bury, the original owner of the land before its development.
The war memorial was later built to the right of the photograph. (Postmarked 1906).